The Wegman Report, 2006
Concerned by the M&M critique, in 2006:
- The Science Committee of the US House
of Representatives asked the National Academy of Science (NAS) to evaluate
the critique. The NAS reported that almost every M&M criticism of the HBM
paper was well founded.
- The Energy and Commerce Committee of the US House
of Representatives appointed a team of eminent statitistians
comprising Edward J. Wegman (George Mason Univ.),
David W. Scott (Rice Univ.), and Yasmin H. Said (Johns Hopkins Univ.)
to investigate the critique. The Wegman committee reported that:
- The removal of the Medieval Warming and the Little Ice Age from
the HBM analysis was unjustified.
- The HBM claims that the 1990s was the hottest decade of the millenium
and that 1998 was the hottest year of the millenium cannot
be supported by their analysis.
- The HBM papers are written in a confusing manner,
making it difficult to judge the uncertainty of their results.
- CO2 and temperature correlations do not imply the causality (AGW) that HBM claims.
supporting the M&M critique.